June 11, 2014

How to Train Your Dragon 2

How to Train Your Dragon 2 is the continuation of the story of Hiccup. This film takes place 5 years after the first film. Much has changed since the last time we saw our hero and this is the new story. All the voice actors return from the first film. I was a super fan of the first film. This was one of the first two movies I have ever bought on BluRay (looks great by the way).

To start off, I was really hoping this film would be just as good as the first one or at least in the same realm as the first one. What I got, to say the least, was one of the best sequels I have ever seen. And one of the best kids movies to date. My all time favorite CGI animated film is Toy Story 3 (non CGI is a whole other story). I loved this film. Absolutely loved it.  The animation was so beautiful and extremely well shot, thanks once again to Roger Deakins who was the visual consultants on this one and the last one. Giving this once again a very, for lack of a better word, epic look. This whole film felt epic. It was like the Lord of The Rings, but a kids film. The voice acting was great just like the last film. The characters are back and better then ever. They even have a lot of character development for all the main cast. The theme and over all pace of the film are very good.  The theme is between family and coming of age, which I really enjoyed. The film is almost made for the kids of teenage age because there are some very dark moments. The story just over all had a very mature way of telling itself and it really doesn't talk down to kids at all.

This is one of the few films that I can say that I have almost no problems with. I mean, I'm typing this right now and still have none. The only problem that I had thought was during the film and it was the villain. I didn't think that he was imposing or very threatening. Then the film does something that I honestly didn't see coming. Which really fixed that problem. This film is a very good and well thought out. It has a great sense of humor and has one of the most epic story lines for a CGI film. It has a great score and just overall is a great time at the movies and once again is one of the best of the year. I am getting really sick of saying that. Wait, no I am not. This year has been so great that I am going to do my Top 10 of this almost half of year just because there have been so many good ones. I also want to see how it changes once the Oscar season comes around, but for now go see How to Train Your Dragon 2 it will not be a mistake.

RATING
4 out of 4 Ticket Stubs


No comments: