July 9, 2014

The Little Mermaid (The Disney Collection)

I know I am skipping here, but since this is the return of The Disney Collection. I wanted to write about one that a lot of people know, but kind of don't know a lot of the full story of the film. Now The Little Mermaid is a classic. I mean who hasn't seen this film. Guys, admit that you have seen this film and actually liked it. What I find to be the most interesting thing about this film is the fact. For awhile disney films started to become boring and stale. Not just boring slipping in sales (Oh No Disney slipping in gross). So they decided to change up there style with this film. The made the princess more of a go getter. When watching it again I can totally see that. The last princess film they made was Sleeping Beauty. Which has the lest memorable princess of them all. Does nothing in the film. Just falls asleep.  Princess Ariel actually goes out of her way and makes her own destiny. It's a big breath of fresh air. They also made it more of a musical. Yes, their are songs in all the films well most, but they don't actaully play any part in the film. These songs do. The also started to use computers (CGI) to help and move the camera. Giving us more of a cinematic feel instead of having the camera at a fixed point. Now this started the era that is know as the Disney Renaissance in which they would release hit after hit after hit thought the 90's.

Now the film itself I would say still works to this day. The animation looks great. I watched it on blu ray and I can say some of the images look amazing. The songs all really work. I mean still really work. "Under the Sea" and "Kiss the girl" work the best in my mind. I mean they are good songs. Well wrote and fit the film and are just good songs all around. The pace of the film is actaully slower. When I say slower that is compared to Disney films which move so fast you can blink and miss them. You can actually see that the film is plainly set into a three act film. Which is pretty cool to see. The voice acting is so memorable. I mean the voice of Ariel and Ursula are just so unbelievably good. This film really is a classic and doesn't have many faults. I do have my problems thought. That's in Prince Eric. A lot people thing Ariel is crazy for falling in love within a day and plus she is 16 doesn't know any better. Eric also falls in love within 20 seconds. Ariel saves his life and he wakes up and says I am going to marry that girl. He doesn't remember anything about her, just her voice. So who is the crazier one? I also just don't like him as a character he feels more of plot point then a character. Also you can tell were the CGI came in now I have to give them a pass on this because it was made in 1989.

The Little Mermaid changed a lot up things in Disney and did it show? Yes, it did and do I still enjoy the film. Yes I very much enjoy the film. I just don't love this one. So with that I am going to give it a

RATING
3 out 4 Ticket Stubs

No comments: