April 17, 2014

The Raid 2

The Raid 2. This is the follow-up to the first film the The Raid: Redemption. The first film was a very simple film super action packed and just all around a good watch. Even if it was just for the martial arts. Now these films are both are Indonesian. So yes, that means subtitles people. This one isn't dubbed and I thank god for that. The story follows Rama (the main character from the first film). He goes undercover to find dirty cops. So he enters a world of gang war and violence.

I personal love a good martial arts. I think they have some of the best action scenes out there. The thing that they always lacked in my book was a good story, style and acting. (The only exception to this would be the IP man series which I also recommend.) Now when I say this I say with is all the weight that it carries. The Raid 2 is the Godfather of martial arts film. Everything in this film just works. I mean everything. The music the fighting the story the acting all perfect. Let's start with the fight scenes, saying that they are good isn't enough. They are easily the best fight scenes I personally have ever seen. Also the way the shoot the fight scenes is good and wide so you can see the whole thing go down. The DOP on this film has a great eye and does a lot of long takes that are just beautiful lit. The acting for this film is good, easily best I have seen for martial arts film. The actors all really care for the story and the characters and it shows.

The director of the film is also the writer and the editor. This film has to be his baby. I mean all the cuts are done at the most perfect of times and the writing is great. He uses slow mo and pushes the camera in for the right reasons. Not just because it looks cool because it creates this feeling of intensity that the film needed. The tone is perfect all the scene follow perfectly into the next and nothing feels truly out of place.

Now I personally loved this film. This is my favorite film that have seen all year. I liked it more then Captain America: The Winter Solider. But I do have my warnings to people. This film is violent. I mean violent. It's at the levels of Django Unchained and Drive. Also the film does have a slow part in the middle, but this does not make the film slow. I just needed time to set up the 3rd act. So people go see this film. I don't want to hear "But Kyle I don't want to read," trust me people this film is well worth reading lines of dialogue.

RATING
4 out 4 Ticket Stubs

No comments: