May 30, 2014

Maleficent

Maleficent stars Angelina Jolie in the title role. Sharlto Copley is also in the film and plays the films villain. The film is really the retelling of the old classic story of Sleeping Beauty. It was trying to show the film from the what was the villain of the story in Maleficent.

The thing that really drew me to this film was the star in Jolie. I saw her in the trailers and saw that she was going to be good. That is what I got. Jolie is very good in the film and is truly having a lot of fun with the role.  Plays it near perfect. I never really saw the Jolie, but just the character of Maleficent. Another thing that I really enjoy is the how the director (Robert Stromberg) shot the film. It really looked great. The way he shot Maleficent in the film gave her a great imposing and powerful look. Also I enjoyed how just the whole film looked and I really have to hand it to him for trying to tell a more visual tale with the relationship between Maleficent and Aurora. The feel of the film is great. Like it really feels a classic fairy tale. Not one of the dark ones we have seen a lot of recently, but just a good old fashion fairy tale.

 It really wants to be a great film. I truly does. I can see that people really did give it there all in the film. My first problem is the pace of the film. It isn't a slow film, but its just to fast of a film. None of the scenes really get to breath or have any true tension. This leads to my second problem the film is the script. It nails the feel of the film, but mess up the characters. Your really don't get to know any of the motives of Maleficent at a big moment in the film. I feel like the director wasn't clear enough. You also really don't get to know any of the characters because of how fast paced the film is.  The film could have been a really good film, but is just a really good renter. If you like Jolie or the idea of villain in the main role of the film then this is for you. If that doesn't sound like you then wait for dvd or skip this one.

RATING
1.75 out of 4 Ticket Stubs

No comments: