November 14, 2013

12 Years A Slave

12 Years A Slave is a true story seen thought the eyes of Solomon Northup. The man was a free man in the in New York. When he joins a group of man to make some money. When he wakes up caught and about to be sold back into slavery. The film stars a lot of people. The main two actors in the film are Chiwetel Ejiofor (really happy I don't have to say that name aloud) and Michael Fassbender. The film is directed by Steve McQueen.

I am going to start off saying this movie is acted so well. I mean really well almost every person nears the praise that they are getting. Not just Fassbender and Ejiofor, but all the actors to me did amazing. They all weren't actors to me they were the characters they were trying to be so for that I gave my highest praise. Fassbender was not on screen that man is my favorite actor in right now he has not done a bad job in any of his films. That man can act and will be doing so for awhile. Now Ejiofor was equally as amazing as Fassbender was. There are so many times where the shot was set up were it was just his face and you got to see the real emotion on his face and feel with the character. The credit for that goes to McQueen and Ejiofor.  McQueen has made more art house films in the past. Like Shame and Hunger. I have never seen Hunger but I have seen Shame and that was one of best movies of that year. Now with that being said the art house isn't completely gone McQueen's style is felt all over the film, but it is more held back as it were. I think this really help the film a lot it was able to focuses on the story it was trying to tell and emotions it wanted you to feel.  McQueen sets up some amazing looking shots. Some of the transitions were just amazing as well. The editing was just perfect all the shots last the perfect amount of time.

The pace and the tone are perfect to say the last. I will admit that the pace is slowed down at times, but it really didn't bug me that much. Like it doesn't happen many times and I also saw this film at a later time so that could have effected the pace of the film. Now also the violence in the film is hard to watch. McQueen really wanted you to see the brutally of it and he shows it with no remorse. It made for a much better movie and set up everything so well. This film is easy one of my favorites of the year. Please if you have the chance go see this piece of Art.

RATING
4 out 4 Ticket Stubs.

No comments: