October 23, 2014

John Wick

John Wick is the first film directed by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski. They were the team that gave us the action scenes for the Matrix films. So needless to say these guys know how to make a cool action scene. The film stars Keanu Reeves in the title role in John Wick. The film is about an ex hitman who's wife has recently died. With her dying wish she gives him a dog. When a group of  man come and kill said dog it sends Wick back into the underground of the city.

Leich and Stahelkis did something that is truly amazing. They made Reeves relevant again as an action star. I have to say every action scene in this film is absolutely perfect. I loved every action scene in the film. They all had a great style to them and just all around cool factor that a lot of action films of this day and age are sorely lacking. Another thing I can say about the team is that this film has a great style a loved it. You guys know that I am huge sucker for anything with a cool style and this film has that in spades. Also something that I would like to mention is the fact that the world that these guys made is completely and totally realized in this two hour film. There are a lot of moments in the film where characters talk and they have age behind them. I really loved that about this film. It also leads me into the fact that I would really like to see a sequel to this film. Just so I can see more of the world that the two had created. I hoped this film makes a lot of money because it truly earns it these guys really made a great action film. I want to see more from them. Don't let these guys go into unknown territory. I used to love the Boondock Saints, I have rewatched it and didn't age well with me. The reason why I mention this is because I think this film really is what Boondock Saints should have been. Now Reeves is 50 years old and it is great to see him kick some serious butt thought out the whole film. He also gives one of his best performances that I have personally have seen him give. He also does a ton of the stunt work which is always just great to see.

Now this film was really for lack of a better word completely geared toward someone like me. It does everything that I like in a film. Super style, great music, and a great hero that is very gray character. Just look up my Drive review and you see that I had the same problem with that film as I do this film. It is so perfect in what it does that it truly alienates and goes for a specify group of people. So if you are into films that are big on action and style this film is for you. But if you don't like films of that type you are going to have a real hard time sitting down and watching this one. With that, my finally thoughts are this if you like a film with the style of Drive and the action of The Matrix. Go see this film. Go see it now. But if you hated both of those films stay far away.

RATING
3.75 out of 4 Ticket Stubs

No comments: