June 13, 2013

Man Of Steel

Man Of Steel is the highly anticipated film. With the one and only Superman. This film retells the beginnings of the Man of Steel. So that means we get to see everything from Krypton and all the way to Clark Kent beginning at the Daily Planet. The film stars a lot of A list people from Amy Adams as the famous Louis Lane to Russel Crowe and Kevin Costner. As Sups two father roles. The main villain in the film is General Zod played by Michael Shannon. That's all I think I am going to tell you guys about the story in the shack of not spoiling anything.

Now this film has a lot of good and a lot of bad so of course I am going to start off with what really enjoyed about the film. Sups gets to throw down in this film. I mean damn the action scenes in the film are very good and just really fun to watch. Another thing about the action scenes is the CGI is very well done and just all around cool for lack of a better word on how CGI needs to look. Also the acting by Michael Shannon, Russel Crowe and ( the man) Kevin Costner was spot on. I really enjoyed there roles and almost every scene they were in. Costner I think has one of the best if not the best scene in the whole film. I will get more into Crowe and Shannon later in the review. I actually for being a John Williams purist really enjoyed Hans Zimmer score for the film. Which do say is better is completely something complete different. Mainly I don't think William's score would have worked for the film, but they are both still very good.

Okay now to what I really didn't like about the film. The best way to start off this discussion is this Crowe and Shannon were great. Shannon really gave it his all in the film and same with Crowe. Now that being said the characters in the script were not that good. Shannon I felt that the character that he was playing wasn't that great of a villain he really didn't feel that powerful. He was no Joker or Bane or Loki or Death Vadar the list goes on. He was a very forgettable bad guy. The big problem with this film is the script and the fact that there is little to no character development. Superman is the most developed character. Which he needs to be, but the scenes were he is being developed felt few and far between. They were mainly crushed between the action scenes.  Then after that you really don't care about the rest of the characters in the film. Also I really didn't like the hand held camera work. I mean yes it looked nice, but I think this story need to be told from a more classic way of film making, but that is just me. So that is just a heads up on that. My final thoughts about the film was this the whole film felt very forced and it didn't feel like there was any real (for lack of a better word here) magic to this film. Now with all that being said I think they have the right pieces for a really good Superman series I think if they work on it a little bit and tweak a little bit this could be something amazing, but we will have to wait and see on that one. My score will be this

RATING
2.5 out of 4 Ticket Stubs.


No comments: