June 1, 2013

Mud

Mud is a one of those films that starts off at festivals and does super well then takes forever to get to the center of the country. It stars Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, and few other people one being the kid from the Tree of Life film (which I have yet to see). It really is about the kid from the Tree of Life. It is a coming of age story about love actually Ellis meets a man out on a small island in a boat living there that being Mud.

Now I went into this not knowing much. I have seen and read few reviews for this film and everyone liked it. I also saw the trailer and remember saying I want to see that but not remembering a thing about this film. I am so happy I didn't remember what it was about because what I got out of it was easily one of the best films I have seen all year. Just to start off the acting in this film is great. Ellis the main character is one of the most likable characters I have seen all year. He is one of the most real and fully realized characters in recent memory. Then Tye Sheridan knocks it out of the park with his performance he was great. Also another character that was just as good and well written was Mud (McConughey) he is on a route to a oscar nod. I mean he was so good in the film. There is a part in the film were he tells a story and the camera never breaks and it gave me that Jaws story vide. It was just so cool. Also I loved the direction done by Jeff Nichols he pick some great shots that looked amazing and the lighting they used was great. All this beautiful natural light and "magic hour" lighting it look so good. The pace and tone of the film are perfect. Like the film feels like real life. It has its moments of comedy were you laugh a little to yourself and then you have moments were you are on the edge of your seat watching the screen hoping that the characters don't get hurt because you care so much about them by the end. That is another plus in this film you care about the characters in the film. Which is something that is rare in some films today. The story of the film is so good. It doesn't have that many moving parts, but it has moments in which you want to see what happens to them in that situation. I keep coming back to the characters and the acting in this film because without those two elements this film would be okay but not great in which this film was

So my only real complaint about the whole film is the pace and it isn't really even a complaint its more of a comment. The film may feel slow to some, but I really enjoyed the film all the way thought and the parts that are slow are important to the film over all. So my ticket stub rating for this film is

RATING
4 out 4 Ticket Stubs

I really enjoyed this film. It easy in my top spot of the year right now. Along side Star Trek Into Darkness.

No comments: