March 8, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful

Oz the Great and Powerful is the story of how the Oscar Diggs gets to the wonderful land of Oz and becomes know as the great Wizard of Oz. The film stars a lot of big name actors like James Franco, as Oz along side greats like Rachel Weisz, Mila Kunis and Michelle Williams as three different witches.

What was good about the film was the direction of Sam Raimi. He really was able to blend his style really well into this place called Oz. I really is his version of Oz, but it to me still felt like Oz even with all the CGI. Which to me was actually really well done. It adds a another realm of magic to the film. He also was able to hit a great tone of the film. It had that great fun, but fully heart felt tone which I can tell Disney really wanted and worked perfectly for this film. I was really into the first 1/3 of the film. I forgot I was watching a movie for a bit, but then the pace goes odd and it slows down in the middle for a little bit. The film does pick back up and the climax of the film which is good. Now what else I really liked was characters of the film. I am not talking about the main 3 I am talking about the side characters. Thats what made the first Oz so great was the side characters. They give you 2 great side characters in Zach Braff as a Flying Monkey and this little China Girl voiced by Joey King. I fell in love with these characters. Braff was funny with everything he said and I just really close to that monkey. Then the China Girl had such a good back story and just loved the character as a whole.

Now the acting done by the main 3 was okay. I really like James Franco he sold the movie. I really believe in him by the end of the film. He was very charming and he understood the character very well. As for the Witches my favorite has to be Michelle Williams she was by far the best actress of the film and I really enjoyed what she did with her role. As for the other two Weisz I enjoyed but I think she could have done better. She was really smart bad guy and I think that is what they were mainly going for so thats good, but Mila Kunis in the movie I was enjoying her performance and after I got some sleep on it.  She was just so over the top and was having way to much fun in her role. The fun part isn't a bad thing not so much. Also there are a few scenes were i wished they would have explained what happened but they really don't. The big one is the transformation scene. So with all that being said and done my rating is going to be

RATING
4 out of 5 (A high Recommend)

No comments: